ABC 22 News Team
- Amber Jayanth
- Christian Hauser
- Jason Puhr
- Kelly May
- Kristine Frazao
- Lisa Smith
- Natasha Williams
- Nicole Grigg
- Rhonda Moore
- James Rider
- Ann Reynolds
School delays and closings are updated every few minutes. Please refresh your browser to check for the latest information.
If your organization could be affected by a closure or delay, call 937-262-1400 to sign up for an account.
Ohio House OKs bill overhauling charter school oversight
October 07, 2015 18:41 GMT
By JULIE CARR SMYTH AP Statehouse Correspondent
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) -- Sweeping new performance, accountability and transparency requirements for Ohio's embattled charter-school system have cleared the Ohio House.
The chamber's 91-6 vote Wednesday comes as Ohio prepares for the first installment in a $71 million federal grant to expand charter opportunities that can provide an alternative to traditional public schools. A Senate vote was also expected.
Backers say approval signals Ohio's commitment to improving a charter school sector that's been marred by attendance woes, financial questions and performance lags among some schools.
The legislation makes it easier for high performing charters to expand while specifically labeling the worst charter schools "poor" and forbid "sponsor-hopping" by under-performing charter operators.
It also improves public access to charters' information and clarifies that schools' equipment belongs to the schools, not their operators.
- Toddler's Head "Reattached" After Car Crash
- Investigators: Umpqua Gunman Shot Himself During Shootout With Police
- Special Room Makeover For Piqua Girl
- Pierre Suing UD: 'I Want Justice'
- Girl Suspended Over Blue Highlights
- GOING VIRAL: Deputy Comforts Baby After Crash
- Man Sleeps Outside After Wife Kicks Him Out Of Home
- Twilight Characters Swap Genders In New Book
- BREAKING: Animals Confiscated From German Township Home
- New Mom Taken To Hospital By Canoe As Floodwaters Rise
- Woman Hides From Police In Tank Of Portable Toilet
- Man Drives Into Ocean To Flee From Police
- Man Calls Police To Complain He's Too High
- Dayton Rapper Given a Second Chance To Build His Empire
- National Walk to School Day: Safety Reminder
- Jobs Report: Unemployment Down, But Have Some Just Given Up Looking?
- 'Unusual' HIV, Hepatitis C Outbreak Reported in Shelby County
- FIGHTING BACK: You Called; We Investigated What's Being Done for Suspected Drug Houses
- RTA Bus Incident: Man Recounts Scary Ride
- INVESTIGATION: Nuclear Smugglers Sought Terrorist Buyers
- 911 Caller Describes Snake Attack
- High School Student Foils Dayton Teen Escape
- Police: Woman Arrested for Harrassing Bus Driver after Taking Personal Phone Call
- Centerville and Sugarcreek Still Feuding on How To Share Tax Money
- Two Brothers Reported Missing From Riverside
- UD Crime Report: Burglaries Doubled In 2014
- Springfield Woman Facing More Charges When Heroin Falls Out of Underwear in Jail
- Oregon Shooter's Mother Wrote About Guns in Online Forum
- Ryan Mitchell Sentenced to Prison for Murdering Woman
- Famly Escapes Fire In Moraine
- Second Victim Revealed in Fatal Darke County Crash
- Early Voting Begins Today
- Car Knocks Out Power in Dayton Neighborhood
- Assault, Carjacking a Nightmare for Woman Recovering from Surgery
- YWCA's Emergency Shelter Stays Nearly Full
- McKnight's Family Relieved to See Case Wrapping Up
- 'Magic' Johnson, 'Shack' Harris to Attend Central State Ribbon Cutting
- California Becomes Fifth Right-To-Die State
- FIGHTING BACK: Street Souljahz Work to Make a Difference
- #PitBullFlowerPower Fights Pitbull Prejudice, Hopes to Change their Fate
- Tonisha Harris Enters Guilty Plea, Sentencing To Come
- First Confirmed Case of Flu Treated At Dayton Children's
- Two Arrested For Attempted Murder of An Officer In Springfield
- Rocks on Track Cause Vermont Amtrak Derailment
- Kasich Describes Himself As 'Troublemaker'
- Sheriff's Office: Girl Sent Greenon Bomb Threat to Herself
- Boehner: House Will Vote For New Speaker Oct. 29
- DEVELOPING: Pilot Dies During Flight, Co-Pilot Lands Jet Safely
- Priest Accused of Pointing Musket At Boy Over Football Rivalry
- CAUGHT ON CAMERA: Dog Chases Off Three Bears
- Ohio House OKs bill overhauling charter school oversight
- Schools, camps could stock asthma inhalers under Ohio bill
- Police video shows Cleveland officer asking man to drop gun
- Bill provides confidential address for violence victims
- Report: lawmakers undermine efforts to lower prison numbers
- Official says Cleveland police must undergo cultural shift
- Ohio Senate to vote on bill to expand treatment for STDs
- State seizes 4 bears from Ohio owner who didn't get permit
- Ohio city needs more money to keep drinking water safe
- State seizing 4 bears from Ohio owner who didn't get permit